Tiles in a gloss or matt finish?
Ceramic is a solution with excellent characteristics in wall tiles and flooring in any type of project, since it provides the spaces in which it is used with not only excellent resistance and durability, but also versatility. This material offers such a big array of options that there are always doubts when it comes to opting for the most suitable tile for the project that we have in mind. One of the most common questions when choosing ceramic tiles is the type of finish we are after: Gloss tiles or matt? That is the question.
Cooking areas which have gloss finishes are much easier to clean
At Decocer, we acknowledge that both ceramic tile options are perfectly feasible when installing porcelain floors at home; however, it is true that according to the project or the room, the best way to go is to choose either one or the other. In cooking areas or kitchens, tiles in a gloss finish are advisable because of the following reasons:
- In the kitchen, gloss tiles get dirtier than those in a matt ceramic finish, but at the same time, as we are dealing with lacquered waterproof surfaces, they can be cleaned much quicker. Just a quick wipe over the kitchen tiles and they are clean and shiny again.
- Gloss is perfect for small spaces or those with little natural light, since a feeling of spaciousness and brightness is created at home. A feeling that is strengthened even more when we are dealing with white tiles. In addition to reflecting more light, the glossy white kitchen tile emphasizes the hygienic aspect of this room.
- In the case of kitchen tiles, decorating the front with gloss tile is one of our tips for renewing their appearance.
- Combined with matt furniture, white gloss tiles create an interesting contrast in both the bathroom and the kitchen.
- The gloss finish combines with kitchens and bathrooms of any style: large, small, avant-garde, traditional, etc.
- In addition, glossy tiles, especially white ones, are more visually attractive on kitchen and bathroom floors.
Tiles in a matt finish that are used in wet areas do not leave any trace of stains
Matt finishes turn out to be ideal for bathrooms or wet areas of the house. There are lots of reasons for that:
- This type of porcelain tile does not get stained.
- They do not get dirty easily and they conceal stains that much better.
- They provide a warmer, more serene, and even more elegant touch to the space, allowing you to recreate a wellness space in the bathroom.
- In terms of touch, the matt texture is more pleasant and gives rise to more welcoming kitchens and bathrooms.
- The diversity of colors and shapes of the matt tiles for both the floor and the wall will make the bathroom and kitchen very attractive spaces.
- In particular, the white matt tiles will create modern and refined atmospheres.
Nevertheless, a balance between gloss and matt finishes in kitchen and bathroom porcelain stoneware is a very recurring solution, since the contrast between both textures achieves some nuances which are highly enveloping, as well as creative. This is proven by the Devon collection from Decocer. As we are dealing with a series of tiles which are available in gloss and matt finishes alike, it allows for the creation of spaces with assorted interesting combinations of textures and colors.
In conclusion, between gloss and matt there is no better finish than another. Everything will depend on the taste of each person. Achieving a balance of gloss and matt tiles between walls, floors, furniture, worktop, shower and other decorative elements in rooms or outside the house is the best option for obtaining a spectacular result.
We would like to help you shape your ceramic design. You can ask for a price quotation or make an appointment with us to go over all the fine details.